Saturday, November 17, 2007

{prologue} beginning in the middle

sometimes I feel I was born for another time. my need to save and reuse has been somewhat overwhelming. you'd think I had grown up through the great depression. or was a housewife during the world war. but I wasn't. I am living in the here + now where consumption and consumerism is at an all-time high and we are living under the one-time-use paradigm of our throw-away society.

I want to simplify. I want more from less.

maybe I get it from my mother. though a self proclaimed muddler through life, she is actually a creative genius with the keen ability to make crafty solutions to life's day-to-day problems. {making a desk into both a child-proof gate + functional food storage space is proof enough.} she uses what she has to get by. she makes using less work.

I've been trying to do this for years. maybe it's my inherent need to reduce + reuse + recycle. maybe I'm just cheap. maybe I'm just lazy. whatever the reason, I want to create without using more. buying more stuff. wasting more of our natural resources. I'll reuse the things around me and recreate them into something else. I will reconstruct: life + the way we approach crafting/creating.

{re}CONSTRUCTED:
a weblog devoted to the diy of every day life using every day things in a new + creative way

1 comment:

Travelin'Oma said...

I had no idea there was another clever blog here!! You would have liked my mom. She saved the butter wrappers to grease the pans with, and she cut up paper sacks to make book covers. Once I unwrapped a book she was reading and it was Carpetbaggers, a very r-rated read. She was upset that I had discovered her vice! But she was a depression-era environmentalist, for sure!